I am not sure about you but for me there seems to be an explosion of raw food products on the market these days. You can find everything from raw crackers, kale chips, cookies, macaroons, chocolates and more. This is an amazing thing to see. Especially since it in the past it has been harder to find these specialized items. Right now I can find them in my local health food stores. If for whatever reason you can not find them in your health food stores you may consider asking them to carry some raw food products or to do a special order for you. Or even shop online.
I think there should be a balance between making your own raw food dishes at home and also having the option to stock your pantry with some key snacks for when you are crazy busy and on the go. These dehydrated snack will fit in your bag, purse or even in your desk(minus the juice jar below). They can be used in cases of emergency when you feel your energy starting to get low or when you just didn’t have time to make something the day before.
6 Great Raw Products to Shop For:
- Dehydrated crackers. These are great to satisfy your craving for crunchy. They can often be topped with a slice of cucumber, tomato or avocado. They come in all sorts of flavours and tastes.
- Raw Bars. These are filled with chewy yummy ingredients. These are generally on the sweeter side and have varying amounts of protein in them. Some are meal replacements, others are more of a quick sweet snack. Ideally having ones with a good balance of protein in them is great for holding you over for a meal and giving you the nourishment that you need.
- Raw Chocolates. Mmmmm. Now who can go wrong with that. Bitter, yummy and a source of iron and magnesium. These are a lovely indulgence. They can be broken up into smaller pieces and made into a trail mix-just. Just add some nuts, goji berries and seeds. Or just eat the chocolate as is. Now there are some raw chocolates that are decadent and have some beautiful flavours and then there are some that are filled with super foods. I love both options. However sometimes if there are too many super foods like (10 plus) it can have some pretty different tastes. So keep that in mind. I won’t name any names but this weekend I tried one that tasted like perfume and needles to say did not get finished.
- Kale Chips. The all popular kale chip is always a winner. Yes these are addictive, but they are also great to have to crumble on soups and salads to make your raw meals exciting and fun. Or you could just eat the whole bag at once….(just kidding of course)
- Sprouted Goodies. Including seeds and grains dipped in yummy flavours is really fun. Curry, spices, sweet and salty. There are so many options.
- Raw Greens Powders. Having a small packet of a greens powder can often be a life saver. Mix with water and fill your body with nutrients. You can buy sample sizes or raw greens powders and even protein powders that fit nicely in your bag.
In the next couple of weeks I will be sharing some of my favourites and ones that have passed in my household. I have a canister on my counter that is labelled “TRAVEL SNACKS”. In it I put small bars and sample packets of various greens powders and anything else that could fit easily in my bag.
I would love to hear what your favourite products are for travelling on the go. Do you have a brand that your really like?
Also If you are in Kitchener-Waterloo come join me at Fiddleheads on Bruce Street on Saturday March 10th for their 2nd annual Spring Breakfast Event I will be talking about raw breakfast ideas. I would love to see you there.